This post will probably sound like a vent and maybe it is. I was reading a post on a moms website asking about Thank You cards... are they out of date?
I make sure that I write (handwrite) thank you cards for all of the gifts that Katherine, Brett and I receive. I look at it as though, the person giving the gift really didn't have to go out of their way to give a gift to us. They spent the time thinking of us and we need to thank them. That is just my personal opinion.
It does burn a bit when I make a special trip to the store to buy a gift (or gift card), a card and wrapping and never receive a thank you.
I am just as busy as the next person but how hard is it to sit down and write three sentences on a note card and throw it in the mail? Okay, yes, you have to first you need to find a thank you card (plain paper works as well), then figure out what you are going to write, write it, put it in the envelope, address it and then put a stamp on it.
So, you cannot find any stamps, send an email. Let the person know that you appreciate their efforts, even if you don't like the gift. Regift. That's all I am saying.
The point is... it's the thought that counts and let the giver know that you appreciate the thought.
So, in todays technological world... call, email, text or even snail mail your thank you's. I have sent out many Mother's Day gifts, birthday gifts, Christmas gifts, baby gifts and it's a bit of a let down not to receive a thank you.
Getting back to the original post that I saw about Thank You notes. At the conclusion of the post, Thank You notes are not out dated... people are just getting lazy and not sending them or even calling to say "Thanks".
I am not going to be a lazy person and I am going to continue to send out my thank you cards. I will probably rethink who I send gifts to as if I take the time to chose a gift for you, you should take the time to at least say, "Thank You". If not, there may not be a gift waiting for you in the future from me.
Emily Post on Thank You Notes:
http://www.emilypost.com/communication-and-technology/notes-and-letters/99-thank-you-notes-to-send-or-not-to-send
It’s never wrong to send a written thank-you And people always appreciate getting “thanks” in writing.
Why? Handwritten notes are warmer and more special than other forms of thank-yous. The rule of thumb is that you should send a written note any time you receive a gift (even a ‘thank you’ gift) and the giver wasn’t there to thank in person. But notes are not always necessary. If, for example, the gift is from a close friend or relative (and it’s not a wedding gift) you can email or call instead if you prefer. Below are some other note-writing guidelines:
Shower gifts.
Even though the gift giver attended the shower in your honor and you had a chance to say thanks for her gift, you should still send a written note.
Wedding gifts.
Each wedding gift should be acknowledged with a written note within three months of receipt of the gift. It’s best to write the notes as soon as possible after gifts arrive, however. Write a note even if you have thanked the giver in person.
Congratulatory gifts or cards.
Anyone who sends a present, or a card with a personally written message, should receive a note in return.
Gifts received when sick.
Thank-you notes should be written as soon as the patient feels well enough—or a friend or relative can write the notes. It’s okay to call close friends rather than write.
Condolence notes or gifts.
Everyone who has sent a personal note, flowers or a donation should get a written thank-you. A close friend or relative can write the notes on the recipient’s behalf.
I'm soooo bad at this!!! I still have yours sitting in my scraproom... all ready to go, just needs an address!! D'oh you can expect it in a couple days!! hehehe **blushes**
ReplyDelete