Kat and her best friends...

Friday, September 16, 2011

A New Sport


Katherine asked to be signed up for soccer. Before doing so, I had to make sure that she understood that in soccer they do not wear dresses nor do they wear pink. She said that she was okay with that and so I started to look up clubs since AYSO isn't up in our area.

I know just a little about soccer. After all, my best friend played for San Diego State. I did go to a game or two. I am just not too sure about this age. I guess I am going to find out.

So, on our Fun Friday Family night, we went shopping for soccer things. The only thing that she really needed was a size three ball. Other than that, we could have improvised but with Katherine, it is all about the fashion.

I found her some soccer cleats with pink on them (on sale), pink shorts and a pink shirt that were both on sale and then some very tiny shin guards and socks (no pink). About $50 later, we were ready to start soccer. We still needed a size three ball, though.

Driving around on Saturday afternoon, we found a soccer store. We walked in and when the man asked what we were looking for, Katherine blurted out, "A pink ball". There are some days that I really wish that she would just burst out of her bubble (just kidding). She is not afraid to say what she thinks and she knows what she wants. Hmmm... where does she get that?

Anyway... getting back to topic. Yep, the store had the pink ball and we were now set. We just needed to wait until Tuesday for soccer practice.
When Tuesday finally came, it was a rainy day. It looked like it was going to pour. We went to soccer practice anyway. There was no way that we were getting out of it. She is a smart little girl and she knew what day it was.
So, we got to the park and right away, Katherine started talking to another little girl. The little girl could hardly get any words in, Katherine was talking so much. Again, I wish that she would just break out of her shell. :)
The coaches finally get the practice stated and they are teaching the girls had to dribble. That was all good until the coach wanted her to dribble another ball. She could not dribble her own ball. Fine. So, she found another ball with pink on it. Then the coach said, "Switch" and that is when Katherine was lost. There was a bright yellow ball right in front of her but she was not going to touch it with a ten foot pole. She wanted a pink or purple ball. When she finally found the purple ball, she had to switch again and right in front of her was that bright yellow ball. Again, she ran the other way, hoping to get her own pink ball back. No luck. She didn't dribble a ball that round because she was not going to dribble a ball that was not either pink or purple. In the next round, she found the other ball that had pink on it. And this went on until the rain.

So, when we have a game and if Katherine is goalie and they are using a ball that doesn't have either pink or purple on it, we are going to lose. She will not touch that ball. But if she is out on the field, at least we know that she will not try to pick the ball up. So, it could go either way...

Anyway... I am so proud of our little girl. She wants to try new sports and it is so much fun watching her. She loved dance but really didn't have the focus at the time. Maybe now that she is a bit older, I will sign her back up.
I cannot believe how much her swim lessons have paid off. She is a little fish in the water. She loves to swim and to dive. Katherine has also excelled in karate but had to give it up for now for soccer. Hopefully, she will go back. I would really like for her to know and how to use self defense.
Finally, Katherine does enjoy her gymnastics class. She hops along the beam with ease (hmmm... I wonder where that came from). All in all, I am so proud that she wants to try everything. She gives it her all and she comes out successful.
Coming from sports myself, I think that all kids should do some sort of sport. It helps with their self confidence. Let's face it... being a kid is hard work. It's always nice to get a little bit of an ego boost ~ a "great job" from the coach, a "awesome job" from a team member, and a little medal at the end of the season. It's the little accomplishments that help us through this thing we call life.

No comments:

Post a Comment