Well, as we all know, things changed. They have changed a lot. Some... a bit much...
No more bottle water through security...
Taking shoes off...
3 ounce bottles...
Long lines...
Oh, the list can go on and on. The airlines have also taken advantage with charging fees for everything... even to use the bathroom, which Ryan Air has either started doing or will be in the future. Again, CRAZY!!
So, this post comes from an email that I received. There are many special needs families out there. Their parents trying to get a program up and going for traveling children with special needs. I really think that the program should be opened to all families.
Katherine took her first commercial flight when she was 9 weeks old and has been traveling ever since. So, this is my response to the email. I have also included the video showing the special needs children having issues going through security. Even though Katherine started traveling so young, she has the exact same fears as those with the special needs.
The TSA makes it virtually impossible to travel with children. They are inconsistent in their rules and check everything including bottles for bombs.
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/
My reason that the program should be open for all children traveling on a commercial flight. Yes, it is a long read and maybe I babble a bit too much but this is my thought...
This is a great project but it should be opened to all families, in
my opinion. Katherine has been flying since she was just 9 days old and
took her first commercial flight at 9 weeks.
Flying with
children is not easy. The TSA and the airline industry have made it
virtually impossible not only for special needs children but ALL
children.
When I had to travel with Katherine to Oregon last summer, it was a
nightmare. First off, I called Washington DC, the headquarters of the
TSA, to ask a specific question about bringing juice and chocolate milk
aboard a flight for Katherine. I specifically asked about bringing on
drinks that were for a child and I was told that it would be okay as
long as I put them in a separate zip lock bag.
So, I packed those items in a separate bag and put them on the
carousel along with the rest of our carry on items. Katherine had a fit
when she had to take off her shoes and didn't want to put her bags onto
the carousel either. It was horrible. Then the TSA agent took the
"special zip lock bag" with the juice and chocolate milk. We were taken
off to the side and they opened every single one of those items to test
it. Again, Katherine was screaming. They just opened all of her
drinks in front of her and she couldn't have them. The bomb test came
back negative and the TSA told us that we could take the drinks.
Really?!? They were open, what was I going to do with them. So, I left
them.
We finally go to our gate and our flight was delayed. We had a
connection in SFO and the gate agent promised me that we would make our
connection even though we were in the back of the airplane.
Sure
enough, we landed and Katherine had to go to the bathroom. I had to
wait for everyone to get off of the plane, gather out things, run to the
bathroom, and then run to the next gate. They just closed the gate and
would not let us on. I was told that we would have a 5 hour delay. A 5
hour delay with a 3 year old and the plane was just sitting there.
As I turned around, a security guard came up to the counter and said
that I was "being too loud". Again, REALLY?!? The plane had not
pushed and didn't push for another 10 minutes. Oh, and they closed the
gate 5 minutes early. I was told that was how they received their "on
time" rating. I was also told that "all of the other through passengers
made it". Mind you, I was the one who was sitting in the back of the
the airplane with a three year old. I started on a United flight and
was transferring to another United flight. They knew that I was
coming. Uggg!!
So, I spoke to another supervisor and they were able to get us on a
flight that left three hours later. Katherine missed the rehearsal for
the wedding that she was in but at least we made it to the wedding.
Our
return flight was just as much as a nightmare as the other. Security
was no help at all and we had to run to our connection. Only this time,
they had Katherine in one row and me in another. That would be
illegal. The gate agents were not happy and not nice to us since they
had to move other passengers around. I was not about to pay the airline
anymore fees for their "premium" seats. It was their problem not mine,
in my opinion.
I was so glad to be home and so glad that I didn't work in the industry anymore.
Other issues that I have had...
**When
Katherine was on formula, I could not bring a bottle of water through
security. I would have to buy a bottle of water after passing
security. If I had a bottle filled with formula, they would "scan" the
bottle with their wand.
**Whenever they wanted to "search" the diaper bag, I would make the
security officers put on new gloves. Many would roll their eyes but
with all of the stuff that they would go through, I didn't know when the
last that they did change their gloves.
**The best was going through DFW and the stroller was wanded for
bomb materials. It was positive. It was just taken from the belly of
one airplane...
**Security in L.A. would make me take Katherine's shoes off even before she could walk.
**A flight attendant on one flight said that Katherine could not
play on her play computer during take off. Again, huh?!? I had to turn
it off. It works on batteries, people.
**I always bring my
own trash bag to use during the flight. At the end of the flight, I
would hand it to the flight attendant and I usually get an evil eye.
Not sure why. It's not like I left trash in the seat back pocket (I
never put my hand in the seat back pocket ~ who knows what is in there).
Oh, I sure that there are more, I just cannot think of them right now.
Flying
with any child is difficult. Security isn't easy and is very
inconsistent. Just because I called DC about bringing juice for
Katherine, PHX did their own thing by opening each and every single one
of the juice/chocolate milk boxes. The gate agents aren't helpful in
moving seats to the front of the airplane if you have a connecting
flight with a child and flight attendants aren't as nice as they used to
be.
This project that you are working on should be for all families.
Everything that was described in the video that you attached are the
exact same fears that Katherine has. She is a child that has been
flying since she was 9 days old. It is my responsibility as a parent to
help her through it but it's hard to do when we don't have the
help/resources.
Security used to have some compassion. Not so much anymore. They even
make my dad stand every time he goes through security. They also "wand"
his wheelchair.
Airlines used to let families board first. At least they still let those with a handicap board first.
So, that is my "two cents" for the project that you are working on.
It should be for all children. All children have fears and yes, as
parents, it is our responsibilities to help them through it but we also
need help. We need the help of the TSA agents, gate agents, flight
attendants and the airlines. After all, most of those are parents and
they should know what we are going through when we are traveling with
our children.
No comments:
Post a Comment