Kat and her best friends...

Monday, January 16, 2012

????

Not too sure what to title this post...

Before Katherine, I had a miscarriage.  I didn't have just a "normal" pregnancy, it was a Partial Molar Pregnancy.  Yep, I had no idea that anything like this ever existed.

While my doctor was going over this with me, I was in a daze.  I just hung onto the word"tumor".  So, when I got home, I started doing my research...

What is a molar pregnancy?

A molar pregnancy happens when tissue that normally becomes a fetus instead becomes an abnormal growth in your uterus. Even though it isn't an embryo, this growth triggers symptoms of pregnancy.

What causes a molar pregnancy?

Molar pregnancy is thought to be caused by a problem with the genetic information of an egg or sperm. There are two types of molar pregnancy: complete and partial.
  • Complete molar pregnancy. An egg with no genetic information is fertilized by a sperm. The sperm grows on its own, but it can only become a lump of tissue. It cannot become a fetus. As this tissue grows, it looks a bit like a cluster of grapes. This cluster of tissue can fill the uterus.
  • Partial molar pregnancy. An egg is fertilized by two sperm. The placenta becomes the molar growth. Any fetal tissue that forms is likely to have severe defects.
Some molar pregnancies lead to gestational trophoblastic disease. Sometimes this disease keeps growing after molar pregnancy is removed.
  • Complete molar pregnancies: Out of 1000 cases of complete molar pregnancy, 150 to 200 develop trophoblastic disease that keeps growing after the tissue is removed.4 This means that in the other 800 to 850 cases, this doesn't happen.
  • Partial molar pregnancies: Out of 1000 cases of partial molar pregnancy, about 50 develop trophoblastic disease.4 This means that in 950 cases out of 1000, this doesn't happen.
In a few cases, trophoblastic disease turns into cancer. Fortunately, almost all women who get this cancer are cured with treatment.1
In rare cases, the abnormal tissue can spread to other parts of the body.
http://www.webmd.com/baby/tc/molar-pregnancy-topic-overview
I had to go for weekly doctor appointments and blood work.  They measured my levels and I couldn't even think about getting pregnant.  It was a tough time.

I am writing about this because I was very lucky to catch it early.  After all of the tests and waiting patiently, I was able to get pregnant again and we had Katherine.  That pregnancy wasn't an easy one but we made it through it.

An acquaintance out in Palm Desert, wasn't so lucky.  She had a molar pregnancy and ended up having a hysterectomy and is now going through chemo for the tumor that has moved up to her lungs.  She has a little girl that is about a year younger than Katherine and tears come to my eyes reading her blog.
Ashley is an inspiration.  I know that she has hard days but she is so positive in her blog.  She is amazing.  I cannot believe that someone thought that they were pregnant with a little baby only to find a tumor.
I know what I emotionally went through, I cannot imagine what she is going through. She is always Finding Joy.  Amazing!!

Anyway... I just wanted to share her inspirational story.  Not only is she going through chemo, she is still staying current on her projects.  Ashley is an awesome crafter, artist, cook, silk screener, shares how to do tutorials on her website and everything else that she does.

Check her out. 
http://www.lilblueboo.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment