Kat and her best friends...

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Missing a tooth


Katherine lost her first tooth on February 20, 2012.  If you have done the math, she is only 4 1/2 ~ a little early in my opinion to start loosing teeth.  Her mouth has a different opinion...

Katherine's tooth became loose at the end of January.  I was in shock!  She said that she bit on an apple and it became loose.  Uggg!  So, I called her dentist and they said that it wasn't unusually early but it was a little early.  If I wanted her to see the dentist, I could.

Katherine wasn't in pain and I know that she didn't hit it, so I started thinking that maybe it was time for the tooth to come out.  I encouraged her not to wiggle it.  Several other moms had said that their kids had loose teeth and when the kids didn't wiggle them, they seemed to "go back in place".  So, here's hoping...

That worked for awhile but the tooth kept getting looser.  I finally gave in an let her wiggle her tooth.  She could move it all over and one night, I was sure that it was going to come out... it didn't.  Actually, I was pretty happy that it didn't.  I didn't have time to "prepare the tooth fairy".

The next day, Katherine had gymnastics.  I really didn't want her to loose it there.  If she did, it would have been "finding a needle in a haystack".  So, we made it through gymnastics and dinner.  Katherine doesn't really ever ask for dessert but this night she asked to have a couple of marshmellows.  She bit down on one and POOF, the tooth came out.

I don't know who was more excited, me or her.  We made an envelope and put the tooth in it.  The tooth fairy was given a "heads up" and made her rounds.  Katherine asked for the tooth fairy to bring her a new toothbrush and a penny.  The tooth fairy slipped in $10 for her first tooth.

It just so happens that the next day, Katherine had a dentist appointment.  All looked well and the dentist said that she didn't loose her tooth too early and the next one is on its way.  Sure enough, you can see the tooth is popping through her gums.  Crazy that she isn't five yet and has already lost a tooth.  She will be loosing another one soon, as it has become loose.

Looking back, Katherine did have all of her teeth by the time she was about 18 months.  So, I guess she is following in my footsteps.  I remember loosing my teeth early (not sure how old I was) and because I did have a full set of braces (braces that were bands and went around all of my teeth) by the time that was about 10 years old.  All of my baby teeth were gone by then.

Anyway... I cannot believe how the time has just flown right by.  I remember holding my little girl for the first time and now she is loosing teeth.  Where does the time go?

1 comment:

  1. That's the same tooth Jackson lost I think. "Where does the time go?" is exactly right!

    ReplyDelete