I cut Katherine's naps out when she was about 2 1/2 because she would stay up until about 10:30 - 11pm each night. Now she goes to bed at 7pm and wakes up at 7am. At first I wasn't sure if that was the right thing to do but after all of the research that I did, kids just need to have between 11 and 12 hours of sleep. It doesn't matter if they get that amount of sleep, if it is in one stretch or with a nap plus night time.
They are aware at school that Katherine does not get a nap at home. She does have quiet time and for the most part the school does not give her a nap. There have been a few occasional times that she did fall asleep during nap time but yesterday was an exception. The school has nap time (quiet time) between the hours of 1pm and 3pm. After that it's snack time. I guess Katherine fell asleep at 2:40pm and slept for an hour.
When the teacher told me that Katherine took a late nap yesterday, my eyes got huge. I just thought, Oh My Gosh! She is going to be up FOREVER!!
I looked up Pump It Up to see if they had a Family Night. Of course not! That was last Friday. Hummm, what to do now?!? Brett said that he would take her swimming. Then, I had an idea... Mini Golf.
We had a blast! I also "learned" a few new rules that little Ms. Katherine made up:
1. Hit the ball as many times as you need to.
2. When that doesn't work, pick the ball up and move it next to the hole.
3. Sit down next to the ball and knock the ball into the hole.
4. Don't keep score.
At the last hole, the pink ball when into the hole and it didn't come out. Trying to explain to a three year old that we were done after 18 holes, wasn't so easy. Luckily she has Brett's ADD, so her attention was focused on something inside.
All in all, we had a great time. We came home and did our "night time routine" and Katherine went down without a fuss.
It was a fun Family Night and with the weather cooling off, we maybe back. I was surprised how cheap it was. Of course they get you with the arcade inside. :)
We took Abby mini golfing for the first time a couple of weeks ago in Big Bear. I was amazed at how much she enjoyed it! She keeps asking to go back. :)
ReplyDelete