Kat and her best friends...

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Damage




The day before Katherine and I went to Medford, a girl (yes, someone much younger than me) ran a red light and hit us. Nobody was hurt but my car. My light had turned green and I started to go. If you have ever been to Phoenix, you would know that most stop lights near the freeways stop way behind the intersection. So, we got the green light passing the on ramp of the freeway and coming up to the off ramp. I watched as two cars did a "California" stop before turing right on their red light. Then just as I was coming up to the off ramp, a blue car was in their right hand turn lane and not slowing down to turn on their red light.

I honked my horn but it was too late, she hit the back right of my car. I pulled over and asked her what happened and she replied, "I ran the red light". Huh? It's like she didn't even care. No one was hurt and we exchanged info. As we drove away, Katherine said, "Mama, slow down". I tried explaining to her that it wasn't my fault but Katherine didn't get it.

I got home and immediately called my insurance and put a claim in. The last time I was in an accident was when I was in high school ~ so it's been awhile. Katherine and I went to Medford the next day and when I returned, I was going to take my car in to be fixed. I then received a call from the other insurance company stating that their client STILL had not put a claim in and they were not going to pay. Again, HUH? It had been about a week after the accident and still no claim.

Flustered... I took my car in anyway. I was told by the shop manager that the other insurance was still not taking fault for the claim. So, I called my insurance AGAIN. My adjuster told me that when she spoke to the girl that hit me, she was very casual and said, "I ran the red light". She admitted it but wouldn't put it in a statement.

Anyway... I am having my car fixed. I have to come up with my deductible and my insurance is going to to after the other party's insurance and hopefully I get my $500 back. After all... she hit me!

Yes, I do have a rental car. I was told that I would get a comparable car but not that's the case. It doesn't even have automatic locks and drives at 40 MPH no matter how far you put your foot on the gas. That is all I am saying.

I am ready to have my car back (it's only been 1 day without it). There isn't a lot of damage so hopefully it will be done next week. I am not sure when we are going to see our $500 for the deductible that I have to pay for someone else hitting me.

1 comment:

  1. That's a real bummer! I have that comparable rental coverage on my insurance and had to use it once. Their idea of a comparable car was a Ford Focus in exchange for my Nissan Xterra. It was Winter time and bad weather. Did they really think that the focus that seated 1 less person had 4 wheel drive? It was such a miserable week so I feel your pain! Hopefully you get your car back soon .. and SLOW DOWN would-ya!!

    ReplyDelete