Little Miss Katherine was asked to be the flower girl in my cousins wedding. She loved trying on the dress... didn't even want to take it off ~ even with Chuck E. Cheese right next door. For all that know Katherine, Chuck E Cheese is one of her favorite places to go.
I finally got the dress off of her but we didn't walk out the door without buying anything. She got new shoes and a little shirt that said Flower Girl.
That was back in January... flash forward to the end of May when we actually bought the dress. Now one would think with me being a former Wedding Coordinator, not to wait until the last minute to buy Katherine's dress. Well I did and luckily they had her size. I was hoping though that I could save $20 and buy the 24 month size since she is a smaller girl instead of the 2T but that didn't work. I had to fork over the extra $20 because as we all know... weddings aren't cheap!
So after buying the dress, shoes (2 different pairs), tiara, the bow, and the basket... we were ready for the wedding.
Katherine and I went by ourselves at the last minute because Brett had to go to training. I haven't traveled commercial in quiet sometime and after our experience, I do not think that I will be doing it again for a long time ~ the nice perk of having a husband as a pilot and our own plane.
We got to the airport an hour early to check in. I called the TSA the day before to make sure that it was okay to bring juice boxes for Katherine. I was told that it would be fine just as long as they were in a plastic bag and out (not in the bag).
Getting up to security, I had Katherine put her bag on the belt and take her shoes off. Oh, she so did not like that. She wanted to know where her bag was going and what about her shoes. Of course we stopped the entire line because the TSA took her juice. They opened the boxes for vapers. Really?
Katherine wasn't happy about that... no more juice or chocolate milk. Then we get to the gate and our flight is delayed to SFO. I asked the gate agent if we were okay to make our connection. She said that we were going to be fine. We were going to be landing at 12:30pm and our flight wasn't until 1:05pm. Well that didn't go as planned.
We landed at 12:40pm, had to wait for our gate and Katherine and I were in the back of the airplane... the second row from the back. We RAN to the connecting flight to make it to the gate at 1:02pm and they wouldn't let us on. The plane didn't push back until 1:14pm. It was a nightmare!
Then they said the next flight that they could get us on was 8:30pm. What?!? Seven hours in an airport terminal with a three year old?!? They really didn't care. So, I called Alaska Air. Yep, they had a flight that left at 3pm but when I got to the ticket agent to pay for the flight, she said that it wouldn't get into Medford until 9pm. Well, that was out of the question. Yes, I was sobing and Katherine kept telling me that it was going to be okay. I tried talking to US Air since they are the ones that I bought the tickets through on United. Not sure how that worked but it didn't do me any good. Again, crappy customer service.
So, Katherine and I got back on the Airtram and went back to Terminal 3 to United. Talked to a supervisor and he put us on stand by for the next flight that left at 5:20pm. By this time, it was close to 3pm and we hadn't had anything to eat so we shared a hamburger, went to our gate, talked to the agent that said that he was going to get us on, and then went to the play area until we got to board.
Yes, it was nice to get a ticket onto the flight but we did miss the rehearsal but not the rehearsal dinner. It was a nice dinner but Katherine was done by the end. It had been a long and emotional day.
The wedding was the next day and it was beautiful. Katherine loved being with the girls and having her hair done. She sat for about an hour for them to fix her hair. Then she had a blast playing Yactzee with the bridesmaids during pictures. She was a little ham when it was her turn for the pictures. Oh, and there was no way that she was going to carry the basket with petals. She wanted flowers like the bridesmaids. So... I made her a make shift bouquet and it looked great!
When it was time to walk down the aisle, she did an awesome job considering she didn't have a rehearsal. She even stood up with the bridesmaids the entire time of the ceremony. She took the hand of one of the bridesmaids when it was time to walk back down the aisle.
We had a great time seeing family that we haven't seen in years.
The only thing that Katherine wanted during the entire reception was cake... then we could go.
We spent the next day in Medford seeing family and on Monday we flew home. Yes, we made our connection but only by 5 minutes. If we would have missed it, we would have been stuck in SFO for 8 hours!
Thanks for sending me the link to your blog. I LOVE the pink! How cool that you used to be a wedding coordinator! See I'm learning so much already. :o)
ReplyDelete