Little Ms. Katherine Anne Tossell was born on this day. It was the best day of our lives! She was five weeks early due to me having severe preeclampsia (high blood pressure) but she was 100% healthy.
When Katherine was released from the hospital (she was released a few hours before me due to my blood pressure), she was four pounds, one ounce and 19 inches long. Yes, she was tiny but long. At the same time though, Brett and I didn't know any different.
We live in a on a street that backs up to the desert. We had a huge wind storm the weekend that Katherine was born and the block wall fell down. Yes, we had lots and lots of little creatures adventure over to the neighborhood.
The day that we brought Katherine home, BJ was playing in one of our bushes out in the backyard. She loves to chase, catch and play with lizards. Anyway, this time it wasn't a lizard. We were eating dinner and Gary (Brett's dad) was holding Katherine. Brett got up to get more food and told everyone to move to the other side of the house.
I peeked over to see what he was talking about and just then I saw a black tail of a snake going behind the couch. I ran so fast (I had an emergency c-section which did not slow me down) and picked Katherine out of Gary's arms. We locked BJ in our bedroom and if it was up to me, I would have gotten a shotgun and "taken care of the snake". It wasn't up to me, Brett who "saves" all creatures, went out to the garage and got the pole in which we put up our Christmas lights with. He helped the snake out to the front door with help from a neighbor.
It was a king snake so it was not dangerous but it was scary. Brett said that the head of the snake was messed up so he thinks that BJ brought the snake into the house. Being a first time mom, I called the HOA right away demanding the block wall to be repaired. The HOA replied that it wasn't their responsibility, rather it was the responsibility of the two houses that shared the block wall.
The block wall was down for about a week and luckily that was the only time that I have seen a snake in the 8 years that we have lived out here.
It was scary at the time but now it is a story that we laugh at. I will never forget the day that we brought Katherine home from the hospital!
April, 2007
April, 2011
No comments:
Post a Comment