Kat and her best friends...

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Another "Tossell"

Katherine was watching Special Agent Oso on Disney Junior this morning. It is a show about a bear that helps children in need in learning a new task such as learning how to tie their shoes, learning how to dance, how to wash dishes,how to mail a letter in the mail box, learning about taking care of pets, etc.

On the episode that Katherine was watching, Oso helped a little girl with a goldfish. They learned how to feed the goldfish together and at the end, the little girl was able to take care of the goldfish without the help of her parent. After the episode was over, Katherine asked if she could get a goldfish. Hmmm...

As other parents, I said, "You need to talk to your daddy about getting a goldfish". Yep, you guessed it... she wanted to call daddy right away and ask. Of course he said, "we will go look when I return". Oh, I thought that I was out of the woods. Yeah, right!

When I picked her up from school, she asked, "do we have goldfish". I replied, "yes, we have goldfish that you can eat". I really thought that she was talking about the crackers because I totally forgot about the earlier conversation. Why don't little ones forget like adults? Their little minds are amazing!

So, the sucker that I am, we pulled into Petsmart. I did say that we were going to just look. Like that got very far. My daughter knows me much better than that.

Pulling into the parking lot, I knew that we were not getting a goldfish. They die way too easily. I started to wonder what we could get... oh, let's go look at the Betta fish. They are colorful and don't need a big and expensive tank. There are also many that look alike just in case I may need another. :)

We walk over to the fish area and walked right over to the Betta fish. They are really cheap fish. Nice to know just in case I need to get a "replacement". Anyway... I ask one of the sales guys about Betta fish. I don't know anything about Betta fish ~ what is the difference between the male and female, colors, etc. The sales guy said that Betta fish are pretty easy fish to take care of. They just need a bowl of water and you need to feed them three times a week. Then, the dreaded answer... you have to clean their tank at least twice a week. Uggg! They only live in a small bowl so it is doable just not something that I am looking forward to.

Katherine had already picked out which fish that she wanted. I had to go get a cart since we needed to pick up supplies along with the fish. Along with the supplies, came a pink castle to put in the fish bowl. Katherine was smiling ear to ear. She had already named him "Tossell".

On the way home, I had to make sure the cup didn't tip over. I cannot even imagine how bad the water would smell. Katherine would not stop talking about Tossell. She was so excited and happy.

Once we got home, I had Katherine call Brett. I am not sure how excited he was to hear that we got a fish. I think that he came around, though, after he heard the excitement in Katherine. We cleaned the new tank, rocks and the pink castle. We put new water in the tank and drops in the water. We waited about 10 minutes and then it was time to move the fish. Ooops, I forgot to buy a fish net. I just poured some of the water out of the cup and then poured the water and fish into the new tank. He seems very happy. He swims a lot.

Yes, it is a he and Katherine is okay with that. The male Betta fish are much better looking than the females. The females are small and aren't as colorful.

We put Tossell's tank on Katherine's dresser so that she could watch him. I found myself going into her room and watching him as well.

Katherine is so happy that she has her own little "pet" to take care of. She knows the rules... no touching and cannot feed him without help from mama or daddy. They only eat 2-3 pellets every couple of days. So hopefully we do not over feed him.

We said good night to Tossell and Katherine would really like for him not to only swim around his pink castle but to swim through it as well.

Welcome Tossell to the Southwest Tossell Family.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the new fish! I've debated about getting a fish for the kids but have resisted so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for the fish and Katherine! Fish are fun and bettas are beautiful. When you change his water, I hope you got anti chlorine drops. Chlorine can kill them. I can't wait to meet Tossell.
    Love,
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete