Kat and her best friends...

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Facebook

Like everyone else, when I finally signed up for Facebook, I was on it for hours ~ locating and chatting with long lost friends. I found friends from grade school that I lost touch with after moving to a new school in the 7th grade. I also found friends from high school that I hadn't seen since graduation. It was tons of fun to catch up and share stories.

We also used FB with our moms clubs out in Palm Desert until feelings started to get hurt. I don't understand those that were invited to playdates, parties, outings, etc. and choose not to come but then got upset when pictures were posted. So, we had to stop posting our fun times on FB because of sensitive feelings. Oh well. I guess that is something that I just won't understand.

Facebook also comes in handy when I am stumped as a mom and can ask for advice from other moms. It is pretty nice to get answers from those that "have been there and done that". We all know as moms, we do the best that we can do and when a child is doing something that seems out of the ordinary... it probably isn't out of the ordinary. It's a great reassurance and nice to have this tool that helps us and guides us from moms from all over the world.

I also like the fact that we can get "the word" out there. News travels fast through the social media. We can post on a cause/charity that we believe in. We can post on experiences... bad or good. We can get recommendations and find out where to go and what to do when we are planning our vacations. Facebook is a very powerful tool and can be very resourceful.

The one thing I don't understand about Facebook, are the "friends" that use FB to brag. As we all know, the economy is in the tank. Many people have lost their jobs and their houses due to this terrible economy. On the other side, yes, there are those that are still do very well, financially. I get that. What I don't get, are those that are doing well financially, why do they need to post EVERY time they go shopping ~ new furniture, new cars, new clothes, etc? Why must they post each time they go on vacation? It amazes me that they are so "absorbed" in their own little world, that they don't see what they post could be hurting others. I understand that they are no doing it intentionally but there are so many people out there struggling financially. And, yes, I know that you can "hide" those friends and believe me I do but there are a few out there that have gotten out of hand so that is why I am writing about it on my blog.

I love the idea that I have found long lost friends and that I have been able to chat and catch up with them on Facebook. It's fun to see pictures of kids of friends that I haven't seen in over 20 years. I even found my cousin that I never met in person on Facebook. It is crazy but I have gotten to know her just by instant chat. FB is also a great resource for recommendations on movies, restaurants, planning vacations, sites to see and what not to see. It's a nice way to keep up with those that have moved away and encourage others in their new adventures. I know that life isn't fair and I am not asking it to be. I just wish that some would use thought when they post to their status. It's nice to brag every so often, but I honestly don't need to "hear" bragging every time in every status post. (Just my two cents).

3 comments:

  1. FB isnt really to blame here, those people who brag on FB are the same obnoxious people who brag about their new "toys" and how much they paid for them when you see them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more. It's been a great way to reconnect with friends but at the same time it's also taken away from a good old fashioned friendship. But then so has texting. Blah .. I'm not really sure what the answer is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok I hope it wasn't me... we now fall into that unemployed/struggling category, again!!! (God bless our state and our public education!!) i did however post a picture of my new car.... but only because it was MY very first BRAND NEW car and I was SOOOOOO excited I had to share!!! :) But i totally understand what you are saying!! there are certain posts I'll read to jared that are like that and he gets really annoyed about it too!!

    ReplyDelete