We decided to go. I had not been back to Vegas since I graduated from UNLV. I saw it in my rearview mirror and had not been back since (except for one night when I got my Lasik surgery in 2004). I really had no desire to go back but I was missing my friends out there.
It started out different than what we planned but turned out great. We got the airplane packed and ready to go, we taxied out and then everything on the instrument panel went black. Not a good sign. So we taxied back to the hanger, packed up the car and drove for four and a half hours. If we would have been able to take the plane, it would have been an hour and a half trip. Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles.
We missed the birthday party but were able to visit with Kim and the family and meet the twins. The twins were so cute and so little. It's crazy how much you forget when your child is older. I got my baby "fix", Brett caught up with Kim and Katherine played with Andrew.
Later that night, we took the kids to see the Bellagio Conservatory. It was beautiful. Totally different than when lived there. Actually, the entire strip was completely different. All of the hotels that I knew, were dwarfed by all of the new "sky scrapper" hotels. All I can say is "Wow"!
After going into the Bellagio, I now remember what I don't miss about the casinos... all of the smoke!
So, we said our good byes as it was a very long day with the drive and we headed back to our hotel. The next morning, we woke up and I wanted to see the Wynn hotel as it was in the process of being built when I moved. I also called a friend of mine that I had worked with to catch up.
The Wynn was a beautiful hotel ~ very Chinese. Lots and lots of reds and butterflies... Katherine's favorites.
Breana and I chatted for about an hour and then we were on our way to the Mandalay Bay. We met up with our friends from Palm Desert and the girls had a blast in the pool. We had lunch and then took them back to the room for naps. The boys went out to play and we got some rest for the night. When we woke up, we got ready for dinner and The Lion King.
I bought Katherine a cute skirt that was perfect for Vegas. It was even more perfect because I only spent $4 for it. She looked adorable and the girls were ready to see the show.
The Lion King was different than what I expected. It was nice that even though our seats were up higher, the cast came up and included us in the show. Katherine loved the entire show except for the ended, which was to be expected. She wants to go to more stage shows and I think one day she will be one of the ones up on stage dancing and singing.
The next morning, we left the hotel and went by UNLV. I wanted to get something for Katherine from there. The campus has changed a lot since I was there about 10 years ago. Many new buildings and the Student Union was awesome!
I ended up getting Katherine a pink (yep, her favorite color) UNLV bag in which she could use for school. I also got myself a new pink (I think she is wearing off on me) UNLV sweatshirt (on sale).
We then got in the car, prepared ourselves for another four and a half drive back home. We made home in time to pick up our two favorite dogs and we all crashed pretty early in the evening.
All in all, we had a fantastic time. I am happy that I lived there but do not miss it at all. I want to do something fun and exciting for my 40th birthday and I will not be spending it there.
No comments:
Post a Comment