
I remember coming home from preschool the day that my sister came home from the hospital. I was so excited to meet her because while my mom was pregnant, I heard the phrase over and over, "you are going to have a playmate.
Nope. She just sat there. She didn't play with me at all. I was so disappointed.
When she could finally play, she played with baby toys and not Barbies with me. And as she got older, we played together, as much as we could without fighting but she wasn't my "playmate".
I remember one day when I was about eight years old and my dad telling me that one day, Michelle would be my best friend. After about 15 years, he was right. She did become my best friend. She is the first person that I call whenever I have a "kid" question. She is an awesome mom and has helped me through a lot.
Michelle was never a playmate, though.
It is crazy to say but little Katherine is my playmate. We play dress up and games together. We "make up" games and the rules to go with the games. We cook together and even when I burn the food, she still eats it and says how good it is. We love to shop together and she sits patiently every morning while I do her hair.
I miss her during the day while she is at school and cherish our "mama and Katherine" days. She is my little playmate but at the same time she is my beautiful daughter that I get to teach right from wrong while acting silly.
Don't get me wrong... we do have our emotional roller coasters, too and I am sure the teenage years will even have bigger hills. For now, though, I am having the best time of my life with my little playmate!
No comments:
Post a Comment