After almost a year of looking for a job, I finally found one. I have the shortest commute ever and only work 2 hours a day. I am a duty aid at the elementary school right down the street from our house.
I was a bit nervous about starting today but just as I get through days with Brett being gone, I simply told myself, "I coordinated weddings and dealt with whinny/crazy brides, I can certainly do this". I was right.
As duty aids, we need to watch during lunch time ~ making sure that the kids eat their lunch and pick up after themselves. After lunch we escort them out to the playground and make sure that everyone is playing "nicely".
I spent most of my day out on the playground. I had several little ones come up to me and ask if I was new and what my name was. Then, there was one little girl that came up to me and said, "You are pretty". That made me feel good because I really felt like a "fish out of water" today.
I know as the days go on, just like any other job, it will just be like second nature.
After being at the school today, it really got me thinking about possibly going back to school. When I first started college, I wanted to get into the elementary education program but it Twas impacted. So, I took a different route... Sociology. Then I transferred to UNLV to finish my degree and there were openings in that department. Except... I would have to go back down to a second year freshman level. Well, there was no way that I was going to do that. I only had three more semesters before I could graduate with my bachelors. So, I stayed with Sociology. I needed to be done with school.
This kind of reminds me of a tenant that we had... Ms. Chris. She was a flight attendant for Southwest but after a few years, she knew that she wanted to be in the front of the airplane, not the back. She started with her flight training and is now flying for one of the majors out of Texas.
That just tells me that it's never too late. As you all know, I never knew what I wanted to do after I got out of school. Most of my friends knew exactly what they wanted to do after high school and that is what they got their degrees in. Not me. I had so many units when I graduated college because I had absolutely no clue. But maybe I did and now it could be time to obtain it...
So, back to my original post. It is going to be weird having to go to work every day after being off for the past four years. I am looking forward to starting a new chapter in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment